The Apostolic Bible Way Church was started in 1943 on Center Street in West Oakland, by Suffragan Bishop Henry L. Robinson. Six years later, Suffragan Bishop Robinson was led by the Lord to the property on 825 Athens Avenue. With God's help, ABWC purchased the property and the adjacent dining hall. ABWC was the first actual church in the California District Council.
Thousands have been saved at Apostolic Bible Way Church. Its ministry has been a blessing to countless individuals and families, as well as the community. Since its beginning, many have gotten their start at ABWC. Members have come and gone over the years, but through it all and with the help of the Lord, ABWC has weathered many storms.
In 2005, Suffragan Bishop Robinson was called home to be with the Lord. After his passing, the members of Apostolic Bible Way Church elected Elder A. W. Rawlins Sr. as their new pastor. After a period of time, the church formally known as Apostolic Bible Way Church, would soon become known as Center of Grace Ministries.